Just the random ramblings of a 20 something Bostonian girl, living life and sharing random thoughts and experiences along the way . . .

Monday, January 24, 2011

Skinnnnnnnns!

I have something of what you may call an addictive personality. No, not in the I’m addicted to every legal or illegal drug this great country has to offer (though it would come in handy for the substance abuse class I am taking, see below.), but more that if I find something I enjoy, I want more of it, and I want it all the time. The good news is, that these obsessions tend to fade after a few weeks time, and then I’m off to a new one.
This month’s addiction is Skins! No, not that horrible, pretentious, trying-to hard crap that MTV has been airing and advertising to no avail, but the UK version, the original show. It is beyond addicting.  The show is based in the UK, and every 2 seasons, the cast changes.  Though the characters on the show are supposed to be 16-17, they get involved in some situations that I don’t even think some of my friends in their 30’s even would know how to do. Yes, there is heavy drinking, swearing, drug use,  nudity and sex, but it’s bloody brilliant!

Here are some reasons I love Skins:
1.       It is made in Britain which means British accents and slang. No joke, it’s almost like another language they are speaking, except I kinda understand it, and kinda just make things up. The way the characters speak in their cool, UK slang is just fascinating and lovely to listen to. I’ve now totally incorporated the words “bloody”, “cheeky”, “wicked” and “spliff” into my everyday vocabulary.

2.       The male characters are HOT! I mean, almost everyone of the male characters are usually hot. Sure, the British accent doesn’t hurt. And yes, I know they are supposed to be 17 and are probably really 20 in real life, and that makes me creepy, but these “teenagers” are way more mature then the teens of America, and they did a damn good job casting. The characters are flawed but likeable at the same time.

3.       The show is just so shocking and raw. I mean they don’t hold back, even if the situation is awkward, uncomfortable, not usually talked about, they just put it right out there. It’s nothing like America, where everything is so held back and privatized.
My advice. Just watch it. You can find it on Youtube pretty easily. You’ll become addicted.

2 comments: