Just the random ramblings of a 20 something Bostonian girl, living life and sharing random thoughts and experiences along the way . . .

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Harrison the Heartbreaker

So you know when they say (and by they I mean my elders), you never know who you are going to meet or something new is always around the corner?  Well I usually take this as meaning I’m going to meet the man of my dreams at the Laundromat, when he asks me for a spare dryer sheet or change for a dollar. (Even though there is a change machine 2 feet away.)  Oh wait, that’s kinda like the plot in the movie the Town, but you know what I mean.  I always take it as a romantic thing.

Well tonight I met Harrison.

He was talkative, funny, put-together, enjoying a nice scotch, and had many interesting hobbies.  A total 10.

Oh yeah, and he was 86 yearsold.

So as part of my travels for work, I get to go off to far and exotic places, full of wonder and excitement . . .  like eastern New York state. Ok, maybe not exotic or full of wonder, and not as cool as traveling somewhere like Nova Scotia, but I’ve always been a firm believer that you can make an adventure, no matter where you are.  Anyway, I’m staying at this adorable little inn, located in this sleepy NY college town, that has a very classy little jazz lounge and restaurant attached. Since its January and that means miserable snow storms, it’s not a bad place to spend a dark, cold, snowy night.  (This is sounding like a Mary Higgins Clark novel!)

I was planning on just ordering food and eating it in my room, but as soon as I stepped up to the bar in the lounge, I knew I had to stay.  First of all Mr. Bartender and I hit it off right away, shooting the shit, helping me decide what to order and convincing me to stay down there and eat. (Picture like the typical grandpa type, the kinda bartender you see in movies that is always polishing up a glass and telling a story. )

Then I heard the greatest pick up line known to man:

“So, I’m off to barbershop quartet practice . . .”

Whhhat? I immediately turn to my left and there sat Harrison. Distinguished looking, with a little blue vest and bowtie, sipping on remnants of a hearty scotch. “Well you do know what that means don’t ya curls?”

And so our conversation began.

I learned that Harrison was actually from Massachusetts originally, but moved around a lot after he got out of the war. He was married briefly, no children, has a niece that still lives in MA, but he doesn’t see her often. He was a pilot, a psychics genius, a pilot who owned his own plane, an explorer of Cuba, an inventor and patent owner though he wouldn’t tell me of what. Oh yeah, and he sings in a barbershop quartet and roller skates every Wednesday (but only when they play the old music, not that top 40 stuff.) And did I mention he was 86 years old? And not slowing down for anyone!

After Harrison left for practice, Mr. Bartender filled me in about Harrison and even said, he was one of the most stand up guys he’s ever known, and he’s “known a lot of people.”  I was truly impressed.

My night was completed by Mr. Bartender giving me a tour of the old inn, while reciting a history of the building, as well as all the events that have been held there.  He was also a very kind, sweet soul that made me feel right at home.

I guess the moral of my story is, you really never know who you are going to meet. Throughout the course of the day, how many people do you come across and never even look twice? They could have a fascinating life, a life-time of wonderful accomplishments, leaving you in awe and make you question how much you are living your life to the fullest. You could walk right by Harrison . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment