Just the random ramblings of a 20 something Bostonian girl, living life and sharing random thoughts and experiences along the way . . .

Friday, January 28, 2011

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day . . .

Yesterday was a truly horrible, horrendous, disastrous, awful, very bad day! And yes, I’m going to piss and moan and complain about it, because this my blog god damnit. And I’m pretty sure no one is reading this, except my bestie J ;), so it won’t really matter anyway . . .
 As some of you may know, Boston and the rest of New England have been inflicted with the worse winter in decades, which includes horrendous snow storms, weekly. Actually, sometimes twice a week. Yesterday was no exception.
Let’s start from the beginning of the story, as there was a chain of events that spiraled into the shit, that became my day. . .
Wednesday was my sisters birthday, but I had to work til 5 then had class from 7-9:30. Normally, I would have just skipped class and gone to her birthday dinner, but the teacher has canceled class and a snow storm canceled another one (shocker!). So it started snowing Wednesday night but no class cancelation. I was looking at my email every 20 minutes (or 5 as it got closer to 5:00.) I decided to stay late at work just a little bit longer and finally looked at my email one more time at 5:30, and there was no cancelation. So I got dressed in a flash, went to the gym, grabbed a salad, and just barely made it to class for 7. I get there and no one is there except me and another student. So we waited about 15 minutes, until I finally checked my email, and wouldn’t you know, she canceled class. A half hour before it was supposed to start mind you! So I’m fuming, but I made it back to my apartment, and realize that I let one of our friends park in my spot in the driveway for the birthday party. So as I pull on to my street a car was just leaving a parking spot, so I thought, YES, things are looking up, so I took their spot and thought nothing of it.
I imagine it was something like this.
So the snow rages on and the next morning we wake up to a winter wonderland. Or winter hell, anyway you would like to put it. Work was delayed by a couple hours, so I decided to go out and clean off my car. To my absolute horror, the car is missing! Totally gone. So, I rack my brain and think, maybe I’m looking in the wrong spot, and proceed to go up and down the street like a crazy person looking for the car. (Which is a rental mind you, since my car is in the shop after an accident, but that’s another story . . .) My landlord’s brother was shoveling and helped me, and neither of us could find it. Then the slow realization that it was towed started to creep over me, and I got pissed.
I call the city of Boston’s tow service and the lady on the other line was surprisingly pleasant. She told me that the city had towed over 600 cars the night before, but she was going to look in the database for mine. While I’m on hold, freaking out, I try to explain to myself why would I even be towed in the first place? To add to my state of frustration, she comes back on the line and informs me there is no record of my car.
WHAT?!?
After a minute of thinking my car, well the rental, has now been stolen, I start to calculate how many years it’s going to cost me to pay off, the lady on the tow center comes back on the line. She suggested I call some local towing companies, and see if it was non-snow related towing. 
Long story short . . . that was indeed the case. Some sadistic, cruel, Ebinezer Scrooge, called the tow company on me because the tail end of my car, and I’m talking barely my tail end, was blocking their driveway.  You cruel heartless bitch! Honestly, who does that. In a snow storm to boot. Not only was it towed like 5 miles away, but it was going to cost me $130 CASH to get it out!! Took me forever to get there, forever to wait in line to pay, then I had to unbury my car from all the snow that was piled onto it, til I finally got out of that hell hole of lost cars. Luckily my boss told all of us to not even bother coming into the office and that we could work from home, which was nice, until I realized I had class at 4.
I got to my train stop at 3:15, thinking allotting 45 mins for a 20 min train ride would be suffice. I guess I didn’t take into account that this was the day from hell, and it ended up taking and hour and a half almost. I was so late for class. Like really tacky, embarrassingly late. The teacher even made a comment. It was horrible.  Oh yeah, and as I was waiting I was splashed from head to toe in dirty, mucky, snowy slush as a huge truck drove over a puddle. Grrrr, you can’t make this stuff up.
Wah, wah, wah. I know, go cry a river, and there are starving children in Africa and I’m complaining about this, but everyone is allotted a 10 minute bitch session every once in awhile.
Thankfully my day ended on a good note. I went to the movies to see the King’s Speech and it was EXCELLENT!!! J
I’m feeling so much better, I’ve even included the trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment